Tools play a significant role in ensuring that work is easy. If you have a home workshop or work in one, you know the numerous tools that you need in your tool box. Each designed to handle a specific job.
For those people who are involved in metalworking or woodworking applications, a bench vise is a very crucial tool that you need. It helps in keeping your workpiece stationary making it easy to saw, drill or plan among other activities.
- 0.1 Yost vises 445 4.5’’ utility combination pipe and bench vise
- 0.2 Yost vises FSV-44’’ Heavy duty forged steel bench vise
- 0.3 Wilton 11104 Wilton bench, jaw width 4-inch
- 0.4 Olympia tool 38-604 4-inch bench vise
- 0.5 Yost 750-E rotating bench vise
- 0.6 TEKTON 54004 4-inch swivel bench vise
- 0.7 Yost vises 750-DI 5’ heavy duty bench vise
- 0.8 IRWIN Tools multi-purpose bench vise
- 0.9 Yost vise FSV-4 4’’ Heavy duty forged steel bench vise
- 0.10 Bassey BVHW45 Homeowners bench vise
- 1 Buying Guide Best Bench Vise
Yost vises 445 4.5’’ utility combination pipe and bench vise
The Yost vice 4.5 inch is one of the best bench vises for your garage or basement work bench. This vise is heavy duty and it is enough to handle moderate jobs.
The vise mounts to a workbench to provide clamping for light duty applications. The Yost vise 180-degree swivel base adjusts the direction of the jaw for proper placement,a feature that is not common with other vises in the market. Users of this vise will also discover its sturdiness since its materials do not feel cheap or flimsy.
It is a great tool to have around your workshop. The flat surface is a great functionality as well and is a highly recommendable item for your jobs.
- Bench-mount vise with capacity diameter pipe enough to provide clamping action for light-duty applications
- The vise has a cast iron body with steel U-channel bar for durability and a flat portion that acts as an anvil and additional work surface
- Has replaceable top jaws and a permanent pipe jaws which are grooved for enhanced grip
- Its rubber washers are also washable to prevent handle from unwanted sliding
- The 360 degree swivel base ability enables the vise to adjust the direction of the jaws for proper placement and locks in place
- A bit more expensive than you think
Yost vises FSV-44’’ Heavy duty forged steel bench vise
The forged steel bench vise is a heavy duty vise, constructed out of 75, 000 PSI forged steel which means that this vise is meant for metal fabrication and other heavy duty applications.
This vise is for users who require a decent, affordable and still compact bench vises for use. The vise strikes a balance between a high dollar value vise and a cheap one which may be of low-value. Users find this vise of solid locking mechanism.
The vise is made of stainless steel so it doesn’t corrode. This gives you a long lasting and tool that will remain in good condition for many years.
- Forged steel body with powder coated finish that provide weather resistance
- Guide rails adjust to counteract wear and restore precision
- 360-degree swivel base to adjust direction of jaws for proper locking
- Capacity to clamp heavy duty applications
- Precision machining for smoothness and precision
- Top jaws made of hardened steel and are grooved for enhanced grip and can be replaced when worn
- Quite expensive
Wilton 11104 Wilton bench, jaw width 4-inch
The Wilton bench wise is an awesome addition to your woodworking bench.The vise has performed exemplary well for most of the users woodworking needs.
This vise one of the top best bench vises for woodworking. Its4 inch opening is perfect for most things. Also the fact that it can rotate makes the vise very useful than other vises. Another unique thing with this vise is that it is easy to install and use.
Users have even praised manufacturers of this bench vise for this feature. In a nutshell, I liked the vise and I hope you will find it suitable for your needs
- Easy to install
- Good value for your money
- It is sturdy and made of high strength steel
- Large anvil work surface
- Double lock down swivel base
- Check before buying as some of them are broken
Olympia tool 38-604 4-inch bench vise
The Olympia bench vise is the ideal homeowner’s tool. The heavy machinery has extra hardened yet replaceable pipe jaws.
The Olympia bench vise comes from a group of engineers that make only top quality tools at affordable prices. I find this tool an above average in performance especially in the woodwork.
If you are looking for a basic vise for home projects that is holding some wood, clamping metal or working on a rifle, this machine will work just fine. My final verdict for this vise is that the Olympia bench vise is the perfect tool for your home basic needs
- It is inexpensive
- Has permanent pipe jaws
- Has a 270 degree swivel base
- Powder coated finish
- It has heavily reinforced 4 lug base
- Cannot turn completelylike other vises because of the 270 degree instead of the 360 degree
- It is not a heavy duty vise
Yost 750-E rotating bench vise
The Yost 750 E rotating vise made from cast iron is the perfect design for your home workshop. The Yost 750 is a good bench vise made for extra versatility in the shop with its head rotating a full 360 degrees.
Another feature with the Yost 750 is the side’s lock down which allows the clamp to be clamped at any angle. The base of the vise can also rotate a 360 degree turn allowing for optimal work placement.
Needless to say, the product comes well-packaged and its finish is far much better than expected. However its smooth operation is what caught my eye with this vise, it is a necessity for any serious workshop
- Large built in anvil for flat shaping
- Rotating head for clamping material at any angle
- Double locking swivel base which is medium to heavy duty
- Well packaged
- Fairly inexpensive
- Iron is prone to rust
TEKTON 54004 4-inch swivel bench vise
The Tekton is made of 30000 PSI tensile strength with irreplaceable and serrated steel jaws which holds work with a sure nonslip grip which is sure to hold any work piece while you thread, fasten, bend, shape or sharpen them.
This top rated bench vise piece is versatile for all purpose use and is pretty durable and dependable at the same time. You won’t find this kind of tool with these kind of features all in one anywhere that easily.
An advantage with this model is that it comes with different ranges from the 120 degree turn to the 360 degree, therefore user can choose the best according to his type of work or his pocket.
- All purpose use
- Durable construction
- Easy adjustments
- Polished steel anvils offering a smooth yet consistent work surface for shaping metal pieces
- Acme-threaded screw which glide smoothly without binding
- Dangerous sharp edges
Yost vises 750-DI 5’ heavy duty bench vise
The Yost 750-DI is one of the best American made bench vise you will find in the market today. The vise has a ductile iron body that is two times stronger than cast iron vises. Its extreme grip machinist jaws feature deeper serrations to grip parts better.
In addition to this, its self-align pipe jaws conform to the part they are gripping hence reducing marring and increasing clamping pressure. The vise also has a 360 degree lock swivel base that prevents the vise from turning once it is locked down.
A unique feature with this model is the quick action pull pin which allows you to rotate the vise as quick as possible and easily. I can tell you for a fact that this vise was meant to meet the toughest demands. I would absolutely not think twice in recommending this vise.
- 60,000 PSI ductile iron
- Over 9 000 pounds of clamping pressure
- Pull pin rotating mechanism
- 360 degree swivel base
- Replaceable pipe, machinist and V jaws
- Iron makes it prone to rust if not kept well
IRWIN Tools multi-purpose bench vise
The IRWIN is a 5 inch multipurpose jaw width with 360 degree rotation swivel base. The vise works as expected and buyers have expressed they are contented with the work this product is doing to their homes. In fact most of them rated this product as a five star.
One of the most interesting feature with this model is the incorporated anvil which keeps vise steady while the user is working, this is different from other vises which are clumsy and user has to adjust them from time to time.
I have found this vise sturdy and I would recommend it to anyone with a serious workshop
- Bench vise with rotating pipe jaw and a 5 inch width
- Has a swivel base that allows a 360 degree rotation
- Its incorporated anvil keeps the vise steady while working
- Fused steel handle makes adjusting a cinch
- It’smade of hollow cast iron that may be subjected to rust use for a long time
Yost vise FSV-4 4’’ Heavy duty forged steel bench vise
If you are looking for an extreme strength vise for your workshop, then worry no more, you have found the Yost forged steel vise. There is certainly no better bench vice for gun smithing out there that is built for durability and longevity more than the FSC-4 Yost vise.
You can tell from its features. I am looking at the 90,000 PSI forged steel, which can hold up to anything. When talking about its casting, I’m talking about three times more strength than traditional cast iron vises.
This means that there is absolutely no problem when more clamping force is needed for demanding projects. One feature that is striking is the fact that with all this clamping force it is still a lightweight.
If we come to swivel base, it has the ideal 360 degree swivel base, its machinist and pipe jaws are replaceable. I mean, features that I look for in a good vise, this vise has it all. It hardly has a flaw that would make me think twice about recommending it.
- 90,000 PSI tensile strength
- Replaceable machinist and pipe jaws
- Adjustable guide rails for smooth operation
- 360 degree swivel base
- Three mounting holes
- Large anvil work surface machined for metal shaping and bending
- It is a black oxide hardware
- Its precision machining for smoothness and precision
- As I put it earlier it is hard to find a flaw with this, so I will blame the paint
Bassey BVHW45 Homeowners bench vise
The Bassey homeowner’s bench vise, just as the name suggests, is an ideal tool for homeowners. The vise incorporates cast iron with steel vise jaws, threaded spindle assembly and locking T handles which are chrome plated.
The vise can also be rotated up to 270 degrees for convenient work positioning. The Bassey’s anvil surface is also integrated into the vise making it convenient for straightening small steel parts that are being worked on.
It is important to note that the pipes are built in with tubes of up to 1 inch diameter. This tool is recommendable for light use home users.
- Its design is attracting
- Can hold up to 1 inch diameter pipes
- Has a jaw width and opening of upto 4-1/2 inch
- Convenient for straightening small steel parts
- It is finished in durable hammer tone grey color
- Only 270 degrees rotation instead of the maximum 360
- Does not open and close smoothly
Buying Guide Best Bench Vise
Having the best bench vise on the market can be a life changer. Here are some of the tips that will help you select the right model.
Uses of the vise
It is important to know that different vises are made for work specific duties. How the vise is used is important in the aspect that vises for homeowners are different from vises used by machinist, woodworkers and welders.
These kinds of jobs need more durable or strong vises and also vises that are of specific use. However, for homeowners, it is kind of like their call when choosing a vise. They can choose a low duty work vise; just enough for their use or go for a heavy duty use vise than is durable, strong and can handle any type of work.
The throat depth
First of all, the throat depth is measured from the top of the jaws to the top of the slide below it. The longer the depth, the more you can hold larger pieces more securely. You must consider the fact that how the vise opens can be a limiting factor.
Before buying, I would advise you to fully unwind it first to make sure it can handle the work you need it to.
A swivel base or a stationary one and the rotating vises
The swivel base vise has the benefits of allowing you to angle the materials you are cutting or shaping to meet your needs.While the stationary one has the benefits of having no moving parts.
Depending on the work you want done, it is important to picture the vise on your workshop and figure out whether you might consider the swivel base as opposed to the stationary one.
The material that made the vise
Ductile iron vise are heavy, durable and stronger than other vises. They are usually ideal for heavy duty jobs for commercial purposes.
Other vises made of cast iron are not equally as strong and also are not as durable as their ductile iron counterparts. A vise made of steel is a better choice for heavy commercial duty work.
While this is an obvious consideration, it is easy to look at the price of the product and overlooking its qualities and features being offered by the product.
Therefore, it is critical to examine it and make sure you are getting what you are looking for in the vise before looking at the vise’s price. It is of grave importance to choose a tool that offers the best value for your money.
You May Also Like to Read Our Editor’s Guide:
- Best Metal Chop Saw
- Best Scroll Saw Reviews
- Best Reciprocating Saw
- Best Cordless Screwdriver
- Best Torque Wrench